Welcome to my poetry & short stories!

Hi,



I've been writing poetries. I have recently started writing short stories. It would be pleasure if you read my work.



Best regards,

Sanket



Ph: 9873762277 (M, Delhi)







Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Short Story #1: The First Seal

There are a lot of seals that need to cross the ocean filled with sharks. They want to cross their shore. But, unless one of those takes the first foot forward by diving, no other seal would muster the strength to cross. Clearly, the first seal is at a disadvantage because it knows it will be consumed by the hungry sharks circling around. That seal knows this move will cost its life. But, still that failure is required to inspire the others. This seal will later instill team spirit and self-belief in others. No wonder some of those others will later gather great courage and thus cross the shore. Instead of being called a failure, the first seal would be labeled as a successful someone who tried to create a positive environment.

Once, I needed to lead a disengaged employee in job. Myself being new to this job, I was unaware of the working style of my junior. So, I was unsure of chalking out his career plan. “How will you work for my future, Sir?” asked my junior. “I am new to the city. I also don’t know driving. Without a car, I would be wasting a lot of time in travelling”, he said. He continued, “I am unaware of the tools to be used too. I know you too have a learning curve”. I conjectured at my grim situation. Luckily, my plight was matched by that of other leaders around me. It reminded me of the volunteer seal who must plunge the shark-infested waters to show others the right path. I retorted: “I want to help chalk out your career path. But, I will adopt a novel approach. Can I begin by asking you what do you respect about me?” He replied, “I respect your passion to lead and fearlessness”. This spurred me. I decided to go out of my way to help him. I began teaching him driving and allowed him to settle down in the new environment. Good quality work soon followed. We became a strong unit and people got envious of our accomplishments. I involved him in all critical team meetings as well.

Our chemistry culminated in us winning the best team award. But, I always thought someone might blow the whistle on me. This feeling singed me. My worst fears surfaced, and I was questioned with an intensity of a court martial. They questioned me on my leadership style. In my defense, I said, “There exist many divides across the world, such as socio-economic, geographic, caste and attitudinal factors. These layers of divide have been creating friction between us. Soon, it would become difficult just to put forward a novel idea to your neighbor. One fine day, we would wake up to see all of us so spent that we would be robbed of any creative ideas. It would engulf our self-confidence. So, sometimes we need to become the first seal, throw the fear factor out of the window, and adopt our own ways of showing light to rest of the pack.” At this reply, I was immediately promoted.

We may have started our journey with a timid seal, but its fearlessness in its ability to write its own future is no less than the ferocity of a raw tiger. We would do well to choose the tiger inside us.

No comments:

Post a Comment